This site where Pioneer Village lays was owned by Reed Case, contractor for the Carroll County section of the Wabash & Erie Canal, and his business partner from Lafayette, James Spears. At one time, the site was home to two brick kilns, which were responsible for firing brick for many of the buildings in downtown Delphi.
Reed Case's own Federal-style home anchors the village, complete with period furnishings, many of which came from the Case family.
Tours of the Reed Case House are available by appointment. Email Mark Smith or call (765) 563-3349.
The Bowen CabinThis structure was originally located six miles south of Delphi on the Charles Bowen farm. His grandfather, Abner Bowen, settled here from Ohio, and had a shipping franchise on the Canal. The Bowen family was known for its acumen in both farming and banking. They owned farmland as far west as Missouri and operated the Bowen Bank in Delphi. The cabin is currently used as a gift shop selling cabin crafts and hand-made gifts by local artisans.
The Kuns Cabin Descendants of Jacob and John Kuns donated this edifice in 1981. In the Canal Era, the Kuns brothers settled in the area which is now the Rock Creek Township and operated a store from which they shipped and received goods on the Canal. At one time, as many as thirteen family members lived in the home.
The Log School House This structure was relocated to Canal Park from Parrish Farms in nearby Monticello, Indiana. The logs for the outside walls of this one-room school house were joined through use of a style of cut referred to as a saddle notch. Clay was generally used to “chink” or fill the spaces between the logs.
The Speece Shelter Made from timbers from 1850 Speece Warehouse in 1982 Timbers were donated from the estate of Josephine Blanchard, granddaughter of Lewis Speece and also of Dr. James Blanchard, a Canal-era medical doctor in Delphi. Mr. Speece and his brothers operated a small but thriving enterprise along the Towpath at Carrollton. Like many Canal shippers who had previously been captains of larger ships, he was familiar with maritime enterprises. Mr. Speece had a warehouse and a canal boat.
VanDerVolgen’s Blacksmith Shop and Jim French Carpenters Shop This small but vital part of our campus houses the blacksmith shop dedicated to our late master blacksmith, Lawrence VanDerVolgen. Mr. VanDerVolgen’s uncle owned a the General Store in Pittsburg, where the spring flows in.
Cooper's Shop See Buckets and butterchurns being made.
Bank Barn – Built into hillsides for more space.
Loom House See Weavers at work on 19th century looms
Fouts Log House - An impressive two-story timber structure built in 1839 by Noah Fouts.
The Fur Trapper’s Cabin, now the Basketmaker and Broomaker
This addition is reminiscent of the Trailblazer Era of Carroll County, when fur traders such as John Duret and the descendants of Antoine Bondie from Fort Wayne traveled up and down the Wabash River and other streams in the area.
Church – An 1889 German church moved to its current location from downtown Delphi.
Summer Kitchen – Often open with refreshments for visitors during the summer months.
The Robison Smokehouse, now the Papermakers Shop
In the days prior to refrigeration and the large-scale packing houses of today, meat could only be preserved through a smoking process. Woods like hickory and apple were often used to impart flavor through smoking the meat hung from large hooks in the center of the smokehouse. Once smoked, the food could be stored in the smokehouse itself, or in barrels of dry oats or bran until needed.
Post Office – See a real post office from the 1800’s.
Railroad Depot - Visit a railroad station & see how it looked in the 1800’s.
Guided tours of the entire village are available. E-mail us or call (765) 564-2870.